:::||> CONVERT SHOPPER INSIGHTS INTO CASHFLOW <|| :::

retail marketing strategy, consulting assignments, executive workshops, conferences and research services, merchandising ideas, advertising ideas, consumer behavior, shopper behavior, shopper marketing, shopper insight, retail e-commerce


Jul 25, 2009

10. WHY WE BUY - FUNCTION #consumer


At first glance, this is a no-brainer - of course we buy 'stuff' because of it's function. I learnt a few years ago that something's function is not always obvious. I was feeling vaguely guilty about having spent $300 on a blown glass vase which, while beautiful, had no obvious function. It couldn't even hold some flowers properly :). A wise friend, who has to be the least materialistic person I know (organic farmer, green, anti-establishment), asked me if it gave me pleasure when I looked at it. When I said 'yes' he said 'then that's it's function'. How many marketers know the true function of their products or services ? It should be simple. Insight pays.


No comments:

Post a Comment